Original spelling: Wolfgang Stürzlinger
School of Interactive Arts + Technology
Simon Fraser University, Surrey 2788
250-13450 102 Avenue
Surrey, BC V3T 0A3
Tel: +1 (778)782-9916
Fax: +1 (778)782-9422
WWW page: http://ws.iat.sfu.ca
- Born in Wels, Austria.
- Languages: German, English, French.
- Dec. 2000: Habilitation (Dr. habil.) in Computer Science, Johannes Kepler Univ. Linz, Austria. Thesis title: Bildgenerierung (in German).
- Feb. 1991 - Apr. 1993: Graduate student at the Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria. Dr. (Ph.D) in Computer Science, Apr. 1993. Advisor: Prof. W. Barth, thesis title: Radiosity with Voronoi Diagrams and Discontinuity Meshes (in German).
- Oct. 1985 - Nov. 1989: Student at the Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria. Dipl.-Ing. (M.Sc) in Computer Science, Nov. 1989. Advisor: Prof. Brockhaus, thesis title: C-Compiler for the VIP-RISC processor (in German).
- Professor, School of Interactive Arts + Technology, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Associate Member, School of Computing Science, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Member of the Centre for Vision Research, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Member of Graduate Program in Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
Employment & Sabbatical Visits
- Jan - Mar. 2020: Visiting Professor at University College London, UK.
- Sep. 2014 - present: Full Professor, School of Interactive Arts + Technology, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jan. 2011 - Aug. 2014: Full Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- May 2012 - May 2012: Visiting Professor at University of Würzburg, Germany
- Nov. 2011 - Mar. 2012: Visiting Professor at HITLab New Zealand, Christchurch
- July 2003 - Dec. 2010: Associate Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Feb. 2005 - Apr. 2005: Visiting Professor, InSitu @ Univ. Paris-Sud, France, AR Group @ Technical Univ. of Munich, Germany, Institute for Simulation and Graphics @ Univ. of Magdeburg, Germany.
- Sep. 1998 - June 2003: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science, York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Apr. 1998 - Aug. 1998: Postgraduate researcher at Dept. of Graphics and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz, Austria.
- Jan. 1997 - Mar. 1998: Visiting scholar at Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, USA.
- Feb. 1995 - Dec. 1996: Postgraduate researcher at Dept. of Graphics and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz, Austria.
- Oct. 1992 - Jan. 1995: Univ. Assistant (research, teaching and administrative duties) at Dept. of Graphics and Parallel Processing (GUP), Univ. of Linz, Austria.
- Feb. 1991 - Sep. 1992: Univ. Assistant (research, teaching and administrative duties) at Institute of Computer Graphics, Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria.
- July 1982 - present: Cofounder of RZL Computer Software GesmbH, Austria, producing software for tax consultants. Until 1989 systems programmer, 1989 - 1991 head of programming, and since 1991 consulting activities.
List of Patents (excerpt)
- W. Stuerzlinger, Collaborative Pointing Devices.
- L. Whitehead, G. Ward, W. Stuerzlinger, H. Seetzen, High dynamic range display devices.
Several other patents have been filed or are in preparation.
Awards, Fellowships, Honours
- Distinguished Researcher Award, Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology, Simon Fraser University, Dec. 2020
- Michael J Sweeney Best Student HCI Paper Award for Graphics Interface 2019 paper WiseType: A Tablet Keyboard with Color-Coded Visualization and Various Editing Options for Error Correction.
- Best Paper Award for interaction 2017 paper Analysis and modeling of the operation of steering a connected linear route.
- Reviewer's Choice Award for Interact 2017 paper Automatic Generation of User Interface Layouts for Alternative Screen Orientations.
- Best Demonstration Award for ACM SUI 2016 paper Shift-Sliding and Depth Pop for 3D Positioning.
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award for CHI 2016 paper User Elicitation on Single-hand Microgestures.
- Recognition of Service Award, ACM SIG Governing Board, 2013.
- Gitte Lindgaard award (best paper) for OzCHI 2013 paper Pseudo-Pressure Detection and Its Use in Predictive Text Entry on Touchscreens.
- Recognition of Service Award, ACM SIG Governing Board, 2012.
- Honorable Mention award, for IEEE 3D UI Contest 2012 submission Escape from Meadwyn 4: A Cross-platform Environment for Collaborative Navigation Tasks.
- Certificate of Appreciation (for outstanding leadership), IEEE Technical Committee on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 2008 and 2009.
- Merit Award, York University, Nov. 2005.
- Featured on York University's newly redesigned research WWW Site, Oct. 2003.
- Junior Faculty Research Award, York University, 1999-2002.
- Erwin-Schrödinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation (FWF), No. TEC-J01317, Intuitive Three-dimensional Modeling, Oct. 1996.
- Günther Enderle Award (best technical paper) for Eurographics '96 paper Three Dimensional Image Cache for Virtual Reality.
Board Appointments, Steering Committees, Scientific Program Committees, Reviewing
Reviewer for many Canadian and international funding organizations as well as international journals and conferences.
ACM, IEEE, CHCCS (Canada)
Invited Talks, Courses, Presentation in Panels, etc.
- Towards Better User Interfaces for 3D and Large Displays, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, Nov. 2020.
- Evaluating COVID-19 Spread Visualization Methods, BC COVID-19 Research and Collaboration Symposium, Sep. 1, 2020.
- Better User Interfaces for Occasionally Failing Technologies, Keynote at Graphics Interface 2019, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, May 31, 2019.
- Towards Better Devices and Interaction Techniques for 3D, Keynote at 1st Workshop on Emerging Novel Input Devices and Interaction Techniques (NIDIT) at IEEE VR, Mar. 2019.
- Towards Better 3D User Interfaces, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Nov. 2017, McGill University, Montreal, Dec. 2017, UC Merced, Feb 2019.
- Immersive Analytics, Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality for Space Science and Exploration at the Keck Institute for Space Studies at JPL, Caltech, Jan. 30, 2018.
- Presentation in panel Spatial User Interaction at ACM Symposium on Spatial User Interaction, Oct. 17, 2017.
- Immersive Analytics, Vancouver Visualization Meetup @ Tableau Canada, Feb. 8, 2017.
- Towards Better 3D User Interfaces, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, Apr. 2016, Microsoft Research, Redmond, USA, Aug. 2016, SFU School of Computing Science Colloquium Series, Nov. 2016.
- Towards Better User Interfaces for 3D, Keynote at Symposium on Virtual and Augmented Reality (SVR) 2016, Gramado, Brazil, June 2016.
- Virtual Reality + Visual Analytics, Keynote at Nii Shonan Seminar on Immersive Analytics, Shonan Village, Japan, Feb. 2016.
- Visual Analytics, President's Dream Colloqium on Engaging Big Data, Simon Fraser University, Feb. 2016.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France, Mar. 2015, University of Tokyo, Japan, Apr. 2015.
- Interactive Alternatives in Visual Analytics, Keynote at CANVAS 2014, Canadian Visual Analytics School, Vancouver, Canada, July 30, 2014.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at MHCI 2013, International Conference on Multimedia and Human Computer Interaction, Toronto, Canada, July 19, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at i-Society 2013, International Conference on Information Society, Toronto, Canada, June 25, 2013.
- Presentation in panel Great Thinkers at Touch Gesture Motion 2013, May 22, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Keynote at Touch Gesture Motion 2013, as part of Displayweek 2013, Vancouver, Canada, May 22, 2013.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, Univ. of Aalborg, Denmark, May 2012, Univ. of Würzburg, Germany, Univ. of Western Ontario, Canada, June 2012, McMaster University, Canada, Apr. 2013, University of Toronto, Canada, June 2013.
- Stereo vs. One-Eyed Cursors and Implications for Touch Interfaces, Dagstuhl Seminar Touching the 3rd Dimension, Germany, Apr. 2012.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, TEDx Talk, Toronto, Canada, Nov. 2010.
- Is 'Iron Man 2' Right? Re-Investigating 3D User Interfaces, TU Munich, Germany, Dec. 2010, SFU, Vancouver, Univ. of Manitoba, Canada, July 2011, Univ. of Waterloo, Oct. 2011, HITlabNZ, New Zealand, Dec. 2011, Univ. of Otago, Univ. of Auckland, New Zealand, Feb. 2012.
- Is 'Minority Report' Right? Reflections on 3D User Interfaces, Royal Canadian Institute, Toronto, Canada, Feb. 2010.
- Guidelines for Developing 3D User Interfaces, Univ. Stuttgart, Germany, June 2009.
- 3D User Interfaces: Design, Implementation, Usability, together with 4 others, course at ACM CHI 2009, Mar. 2009.
- 3D Interaction for Desktops and Games, Invited talk at ACM Futureplay 2008, Toronto, Nov. 2008.
- Next Generation 3D Manipulation Techniques, Dagstuhl Seminar on Virtual Realities, Schloß Dagstuhl, Germany, June 2008.
- Next Generation 3D Interface Techniques, Presentation at Panel "3D User Interfaces: Present and Future", IEEE 3DUI Symposium, Mar. 2008.
- The Future of User Interfaces in Web 2.0, Presentation at CASCON Workshop on User Interface Design for Desktop and Web 2.0 Applications, Oct 2007.
- Collaborative Creation of 3D Digital Models, Univ. of York, United Kingdom, June 2006, Univ. of Ontario Inst. of Technology, Apr. 2007.
- Gestalt-Based Object Group Selection, Centre for Vision Research, York Univ., Feb. 2007.
- Collaborative Creation of 3D Digital Models, Univ. of Paris-Sud, France, TU Munich, Univ. of Munich, Univ of Magdeburg, Univ. of Braunschweig, Univ. of Hamburg, Germany, Univ. of Klagenfurt, Austria, Mar.-Sep. 2005.
- Model for non-Expert Text Entry Speed on 12-Button Phone Keypads and High Dynamic Range Display Systems, Microsoft Research, Redmond, April 2004.
- Mentor for ThinkTank at Canadian Undergraduate Technology Conference, Toronto, Jan. 2004.
- Virtual Lego: A Conceptual 3D Design System, TorCHI (Toronto Region's special interest group on Computer-Human Interaction), Dec. 2002.
- Efficient Manipulation of Virtual Environments, Graz University of Technology, Austria, June 2002.
- Efficient 3D Manipulation, Knowledge Media Design Institute Lecture Series, Univ. of Toronto, Apr. 2001.
- Optimized Image Generation Techniques in Computer Graphics, Centre for Vision Research, York University, Nov. 1998.
- Real-time Walkthrough of Massive Models, Univ. Ulm, D, July 1998.
- Reconstructing Material Properties from Video Images, Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA, Dec. 1996.
- Optimizing the Local Pass, Dagstuhl Seminar on Global Illumination, Schloß Dagstuhl, Germany, June 1996.
- Computer Graphics Research at the Univ. of Linz, Technical Univ. of Brno, CZ, Apr. 1996.
- Multimedia Demo for EXPO 1993 in Seoul, Korea, Hagenberg, A, Oct. 1994.
- Realistic Image Generation with Radiosity Methods, Univ. Linz, A, Feb. 1994.
- Radiosity with Voronoi Diagrams, Cornell Univ., Princeton Univ., USA, July 1992.
Research projects supported by Adobe, NSERC, NCE, NRC, BC Digital Technology Supercluster, ORDCF, CFI, CRESTech, NSBRI, OGSST, CAE, IMAX, MDR, SGI, SFU, York University, Seneca College, and others.